About the course
This is an exciting and new qualification for construction students to
learn about Building Services Enginnering at a level 3 standard.
This course will introduce you to the professional roles in industry
whilst specialising in a skilled trade area. (Electrical installation or Plumbing) This course is an alternative to traditional A level routes that
enables you to access Higher Apprenticeships or University
You will cover core content related to the construction sector and
choose an occupational specialism - this can be either Electrical installation or plumbing.
Ultimately this course is designed for students who want to go on to
careers such as: Building manager, Building services engineering technician, Electrician, Gas fitter, Plumbing and heating engineer or specialist technical design.
Your learning will cover a broad range of topics and practical skills.
The learning is a mixture of practical and theory, so that you can develop your
skills in research, problem solving, solution-development, communication and
collaboration. You will also further develop your English, Maths and introduce
you to sector related Digital skills.
Your practical learning will be designed so that you develop your
experience with your occupational specialism.
The College also has a dedicated team of industrial placement officers
who will help you organise industry placement with employers, so that you can
get real-world experience as part of your qualification. It would be beneficial
if you can come to us with an employer who will support you on this journey.
The core content covers a whole range of topics related to the industry.
- Health and safety in construction
- Construction science, design, sustainability and measurement principles
- Construction & the built environment industry
- Building technology principles
- Information and data principles
- Relationship management in construction
- Digital technology in construction
- Commercial/business principles in construction
You will choose one occupational specialism from the building services route. The contents of the occupational specialisms below is currently under development and may be subject to change. Our construction department has a T Level Lead for Building Services and this member of the team has responsibility to lead on the delivery of this qualification. More information will appear on our website over the next few months.
The electrical specialism is likely to cover:
- Health and safety practices
- Tools, materials and equipment used to complete tasks
- Systems and products
- Analysing and using information
- Installing, commissioning, and decommissioning
- Maintaining electrical and electronic equipment systems
The plumbing specialism is likely to cover:
- Fundamental Health & Safety practices associated with carrying out plumbing work.
- Plumbing tools and equipment
- Pipework materials, installation methods and jointing processes.
- Plumbing systems and their purpose
- Plumbing science
- Principles of measurement and marking out components and pipework
The T Level will include a minimum of 315 hours of learning on industry
placement (Up to 35 hours of this will be a digital project). Our Industrial
Placement Officers will help you link-up with an employer and complete
placements relevant to the qualification. For more information about
placements, please visit the T Levels page here: