The International Business Foundation (Level 3) course is an ideal pathway for students to gain the qualifications, knowledge and confidence for entry to a business degree at UK or oversea university.
There are additional English language lessons that are tailored to teach all the relevant technical terminology used in today’s international business world.
The qualification is designed to be studied full-time within one academic year. The qualification is taught face-to-face through lectures, tutorials and seminars.
Business Foundation Factsheet
- Successful completion of secondary educations in an appropriate range of subjects.
- Successful interview with a college officer.
- UKVI SELT (overall CEFR B1 Level) from an approved test centre with no element below B1.
Note: Government changes may be applicable. Please check with us by emailing the team at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Note: A limited number of scholarships of £2,250 per student will be awarded based on
the interview and the student’s academic results.
The qualification consists of the following six core units:
1. Developing English Language Skills – develops your English language skills to be able to communicate effectively beyond simple everyday contexts. It aims to improve your reading, writing, listening and speaking and enables you to acquire a broad range of knowledge which you can use to confidently and effectively communicate in English. The unit guides you through Intermediate and then Upper Intermediate levels of English language study.
2. Advanced English Language Skills – enables you to put into practice the language you have acquired and develop into an advanced user of English. You will make extensive use of the four skills of speaking, reading, listening and writing, as well as extending your knowledge of complex grammar and advanced vocabulary.
3. English for Academic Purposes – develops your understanding and use of the key linguistic skills necessary to engage effectively in an academic environment where you are being taught in English.
4. Study and Communication Skills – you will learn the basic skills necessary to conduct independent research, write academic papers, give formal oral presentations and apply what has been taught during lectures to your studies.
5. Culture Studies – you will learn about various features of a foreign country and its culture, with a particular focus on student life and studying abroad.
6. Foundation Mathematics – builds upon your existing knowledge in the area of mathematics whilst introducing new topics appropriate across a range of academic disciplines and for your future career.
A further two electives units:
1. Introduction to Business – provides you with an introduction to the purpose, types and organization of businesses. You will also become familiar with a range of business concepts such as basic marketing practices.
2. Introduction to Accounting and Economics – introduces you to the key principles of accounting and economics. You will become accustomed to concepts such as market structures and monetary policy and also learn how to produce simple financial statements.
Assessments and Examinations
Assessments for all units will be offered in a number of assessment cycles throughout the year. The units are assessed by either examination or coursework assignments.
The NCC Education International Foundation Year will be awarded when you have successfully passed all eight units. A unit is passed when an overall mark of 40% or more is achieved. Upon completion of the International Foundation Year, successful candidates are able to:
- apply to one of the 30 universities worldwide which directly recognise the International Foundation Year
- apply for a guaranteed entry route with a relevant United Kingdom university
- continue on to one of the NCC Education degree programmes available at a wide range of national and international universities.
Where will this foundation take you?
Our 2019/20 graduates have successfully progressed to reputable UK universities and universities around the world including:
- University of Manchester
- University of Liverpool
- University of Birmingham
- Aston University
- University of Surrey
- University of Sussex
- University of Lincoln
- University of Plymouth
- University of Coventry
- University of Manitoba
- University of Warsaw
Additionally, we have guaranteed entry agreements with Bangor University, Birmingham City University, Carroll University, CQU University, Limerick Institute of Technology, Liverpool Hope University, The National College of Ireland and the University of Derby.
For further information, please see the NCC Education website.